Analysis by the This Girl Can team of the first 100 images returned by the Google search term ‘women exercising’ found the selection to be very unrepresentative.
- 85% of the images only showed slim, toned, women perceived to be a size 10 or smaller
- Only 14% of women were thought to be size 12-16, with only 5% of images showing women size 18 or above
- Just 2% of imagery showed women as being sweaty, red-faced or visibly out of breath, and in only 9% of imagery did women appear to be finding their activity challenging
- 65% of imagery returned by this search term also appeared to show women aged under 35, with only 20% perceived to be between 35-50 and 15% considered to be 50+
- Less than one third of imagery featured women from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds.
“Many brands have already made positive moves in this area, but it is still alarming to see what a simple search on Google revealed,” added Kate.
“We’d like to see more diverse and representative imagery used throughout marketing and the media and have made our image library rights-free for that very purpose.”